St. Louis’ Favorite Cafes Feature Fresh Fare, Friendly Service
St. Louis, MO/January 1, 2108 (STL.News) – With the recent closing of all the Tim Hortons cafes in the St. Louis area, it got us to wondering about the other cafes in town. By their very nature, cafes are small, casual restaurants that generally serve coffee, tea, and light meals and snacks. Most cafes specialize in breakfast and lunch, but a few also do early supper service. One thing they all have in common is a dedication to serving tasty food in a relaxed, comfortable environment. St. Louis has scores of cafes—some quaint little eateries offering gourmet coffee and scones. Others resemble fast-casual diners, with elevated food and that classic cafe ambiance. A few even offer wine and beer.
In looking for St. Louis’ best cafes, we found a nice assortment of cozy spots offering everything from fresh donuts and bagels to scratch-made farm-to-table fare. After checking customer reviews, we found great little cafes around just about every corner. St. Louis’ favorite is a metro-east gem called Kool Beanz Cafe. Victoria Arguelles’ cafe is the kind of place that beckons diners to linger. It’s not just a great spot to grab a quick bite and cuppa. It’s a great place to socialize, do business, play games, borrow books, or relax with that cuppa on a comfy sofa. The cafe is adorned with the works of local artists and the aromas of fresh coffee and good things to eat permeates the place. From the fresh, made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls to the Havarti covered birds nest and the bacon-apple brie panini, everything at Kool Beanz is fresh and delicious. In the evenings, Kool Beanz takes on more of a coffee house vibe, even hosting open mic nights (music and poetry) every Thursday. Customers rave about the friendly, attentive service at this neighborhood cafe. There’s a very pleasant patio and free Wi-Fi too. Great food and great service in a warm, comfortable environment makes Kool Beanz St. Louis’ favorite cafe.
There is an eclectic assortment of cafes spread all over the St. Louis metro area. Here are the top 10, according to customer reviews:
1. Kool Beanz Cafe (4.76 stars/54 reviews) Metro-east, 1316 Niedringhaus Ave, Granite City, IL 62040, (618) 877-5730.
2. Edibles & Essentials (4.74 stars/120 reviews) Saint Louis Hills, 5815 Hampton Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 328-2300.
3. Adriana’s (4.62 stars/402 reviews) The Hill, 5101 Shaw Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 773-3833.
4. Union Loafers Cafe and Bread Bakery (4.61 stars/210 reviews) McRee Town, 1629 Tower Grove, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 833-6111
5. Kitchen House Coffee (4.60 stars/63 reviews) Compton Heights, 3149 Shenandoah Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 732-0009.
6. Pieces, The St. Louis Board Game Bar & Cafe (4.57 stars/92 reviews) Soulard, 1535 South 8th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 230-5184.
7. Seedz Cafe (4.54 stars/149 reviews) Clayton Demun, 6344 South Rosebury, Saint Louis, MO 63105, (314) 725-7333.
8. Picasso’s Coffee House (4.47 stars/294 reviews) Historic Main Street, 101 North Main Street, Saint Charles, MO 63301, (636) 925-2911.
9. Sweet Spot Cafe (4.47 stars/86 reviews) St. Ann, 3586 Adie Road, Saint Ann, MO 63074, (314) 770-9977.
10. Russell’s on Macklind (4.44 stars/495 reviews) Southampton, 5400 Murdoch Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63109, (314) 553-9994.
With so many wonderful cafes available, there were a few more we wanted to share with you. These are some of our favorites that didn’t quite make the top 10, but offer something truly special. Honorable Mentions go to:
Mauhaus Cat Cafe (4.44 stars/50 reviews) Maplewood, 3101 Sutton Blvd, Maplewood, MO 63143, (314) 384-2287. As the name suggests, this is a cat cafe. It’s the only one in St. Louis. It’s comfortable place to relax, pet cats, and enjoy a good cup of coffee, tea, or an espresso drink and a light snack. The cats get a lot out of the socialization, and they are all adoptable, so if you fall in love, you can apply to take one home. Walk-ins are welcome, but may have to wait for a spot to open up, so reservations are encouraged.
Fiddlehead Fern Cafe (4.57 stars/23 reviews) Shaw, 4066 Russell Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 972-2637. New in 2017, this bright, airy space is inviting, with plenty of natural light, and the wonderful aroma of Coma coffee—even though there’s no sign of a coffee machine or pot. This inspired cafe uses a new modular, below-counter coffee brewing system that allows the baristas to make each cup to order—it just doesn’t get any fresher than that. Light fare includes baked goods, like buttery scones and an assortment of toasts. Customers can’t get enough of the avocado toast.
Grove East Provisions (4.55 stars/47 reviews) Tower Grove East, 3101 Arsenal Street, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 802-7090. This little corner shop is part cafe, part bakery, and part corner store–a European-style bodega. You can literally grab lunch, and everything you need to make dinner in the same stop, including the wine or local craft beer. Customers love the pressed sandwiches (on bread by Union Loafers), fish tacos, and homemade chicken noodle soup. The weekend brunch and wood-fired pizza also get high marks.