Minnesota Disaster Assistance for Eight Communities

Governor Walz Authorizes State Disaster Assistance for Eight Southeast Minnesota Communities

ST. PAUL, MN (STL.News) Governor Tim Walz has authorized emergency assistance for Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Steele, and Wabasha counties for damage sustained during a severe thunderstorm on December 15, 2021.

“When disaster strikes, Minnesotans stand ready to help their neighbors,” said Governor Walz.  “We will work closely with these counties to ensure they have the resources and support they need to recover in the wake of these storms.”

On December 15, Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Steele, and Wabasha counties were impacted by a severe thunderstorm that generated multiple tornadoes, damaging winds, rain, sleet, ice, and snow.  The storms caused extensive damage to public infrastructure across all eight counties, including downed electric transmission and distribution lines causing the loss of power to approximately 25,000 Minnesotans.  The storms also damaged buildings and trees, generating significant debris.

The state will cover 75 percent of the eligible costs from the Disaster Assistance Contingency Account, with local governments covering the remaining 25 percent.  The Department of Public Safety division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will work closely with Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Steele, and Wabasha County officials to provide assistance as directed by the Governor.