Fun for kids, But Won’t Drive Parents Nuts – Kid-Friendly Restaurants
ST. LOUIS, MO: (STLRestaurant.News) — Everyone loves a fun night out, but finding one restaurant that everyone loves can be challenging. Kids want fun food in a place that isn’t too fussy. Mom and dad want to relax and enjoy a good meal. If only there was someplace where the kids could have fun, but wouldn’t drive parents crazy! Good news for parents and grandparents: there are dozens of kid-friendly restaurants in the St. Louis area.
At the top of our list is Fitz’s Root Beer, 6605 Delmar Blvd, in University City (314) 726-9555. The long-operating soda bottler offers American cuisine (burgers, pizza, sandwiches, salads & wraps), and their own craft sodas. There’s a view of their 1940s vintage bottling machine from every table on the main floor. It’s operational on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Check their website for run times.
As a root beer maker, Fitz’s is also well known for their famous floats. They combine their own terrific draft sodas with rich ice cream in some unique flavor combinations. Besides a regular root beer float (which is anything but ordinary!), there’s the Loop De Loop (root beer with coffee ice cream & Hershey’s chocolate sauce) or try the Big Muddy (root beer with chocolate ice cream plus Hershey’s syrup & caramel sauce). Or step outside of the root beer zone and opt for the Dreamboat (orange pop and creamy vanilla ice cream) or the Black Forest Float (black cherry soda with chocolate ice cream, brownie crumbles, whipped cream & a cherry on top). The chilled mugs of soda are piled so high with ice cream, that they’re over-topping the glass!
For mom and dad, they also offer a wide selection of local craft beers and signature adult beverages. They also offer outside seating on their large patio right next to the Chuck Berry Plaza. It’s a great spot for people watching!
All of the kid-friendly restaurants that made our list have something special to offer families looking for a restaurant that takes care of everyone’s needs. Half of the restaurants on the list are locally owned, and as unique as the St. Louis neighborhoods that surround them. But some well-loved chains are included too. Just keeping it real.
Here are the customer review-based top ten kid-friendly restaurants that mom & dad will like too:
1. Fitz’s Restaurant – 6605 Delmar Blvd, (The Loop) University City (314)726-9555. Watch the soda being bottled while you eat. Their seasonal Pumpkin Pop is now available!
2. Hard Rock Café – 1820 Market Street, (Union Station) Saint Louis (314) 621-7625. Fun atmosphere filled with real rock-n-roll memorabilia. They’re known for their burgers, ribs and chicken for mom and dad, plus a kids menu that goes beyond chicken strips. They also have vegan and vegetarian options.
3. Dave & Buster’s – 13857 Riverport Drive, Maryland Heights (314) 209-8015. Burgers, Steak, Pizza, etc. There’s a big game room and lots of big screen TVs. To avoid the crowds, go a little early for dinner. All games are half-price on Wednesdays.
4. HuHot Mongolian Grill – 12675 Olive Blvd, Creve Coeur, (314) 392-9696. This may be the ultimate spot for the picky eater in your family. You select just the fresh ingredients and sauces you want and they cook it on their giant Mongolian grill just for you. There are HuHots in six states, but just one in the metro St. Louis area.
5. Chris’ Pancake & Dining – 5980 Southwest Ave, Saint Louis, (314) 645-2088. Breakfast served all day, every day, so it’s no surprise they’re repeat winners for best pancake in St. Louis. They’re also a dab hand at steaks, chops, pasta and seafood (also available all day!)
6. Joe’s Crab Shack Fairview – 51 Ludwig Drive in Fairview Heights (618) 398-9993. Indoor beach party vibe, kids menu and outdoor playground with picnic tables nearby. Birthdays are especially fun here, since the staff sings and dances and really shines a spotlight on the birthday boy or girl or grandma!
7. Dewey’s Pizza – 124 N Kirkwood Rd, Kirkwood (314) 821-7474(with five other STL locations: Edwardsville, University City, Webster Groves, Ellisville & St. Charles). The pizza is made from fresh ingredients prepared right there. You can split your pizza any way you want and watch them make it too!
8. Crown Candy Kitchen – 1401 Saint Louis Ave, Saint Louis, (314) 621-9650. This is an old school soda fountain and candy store where everything his hand made. They also do lunch and dinner, and their “Heart Stopping BLT” is legendary.
9. 4204 Main Street Brewing – 4204 W Main St, Belleville (618) 416-7261. Home of amazing food and carefully brewed local beer. They have a terrific patio with several fire pits, giant jenga games and bag toss, as well as an outdoor bar and a grill for appetizers. The patio is also dog friendly!
10. Sweetology – 9214 Clayton Rd, Ladue (5 stars). More bakery than restaurant, they call themselves a “makery.” That’s because you and the kids can choose, create, and decorate your own special cookies, cakes, cupcakes and candies!
These are not your ordinary breakfast, lunch or dinner joints, but customers highly recommended them for families who want to have fun dining together. Enjoy!