St. Louis’ favorite Whiskey Bars – Top 10 Whiskey Bars
ST. LOUIS, MO/August 20, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – Scotch, Irish, bourbon, rye, single malt, Tennessee, single barrel or blend—there’s a whiskey for nearly everyone. Whether you drink it neat, on the rocks, or stirred into a cocktail, whiskey is one of America’s most beloved spirits. This brown elixir is seeing a resurgence in popularity, with bourbon, the distinctly American whiskey, leading the pack. Thanks to a rise in interest among Millennials and women, bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are among the fastest growing categories in the beverage alcohol world, according to figures from the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States. With this rise in demand for whiskey has come a welcome rise in the number of splendid places to drink it.
So where are the best spots in St. Louis to enjoy whiskey in all its many, distinct forms? For a truly whiskey-focused experience, one visits a whiskey bar, and St. Louis is rich with them. So, we checked the customer reviews to find St. Louis’ favorite whiskey bars. Lots of bars and cocktail lounges offer whiskey and whiskey cocktails, along with craft beer, wine and other beverages. The watering holes that made our top 10 list are whiskey specialists, offering more selection, more varieties, and a certain atmosphere that make them terrific spots to sip and savor these distilled spirits.
If the idea of a whiskey bar conjures images of leather chairs, dark woods, and a certain amber glow, then the bar at the top of the list is an ideal choice. Stepping into the Fox & Hounds Tavern at the Cheshire Inn is like stepping into a different world. It’s modeled after a stag parlor, a sort of den in old English manor homes—plush chairs, big stone fireplace, and a relaxing bar. The tavern offers dozens of varieties of Irish, Scotch, and American whiskey along with a nice small plate menu. Friday and Saturday nights add live music to the mix, making the Fox & Hound Tavern a terrific destination for a night out.
Our list of the Top 10 Whiskey Bars in St. Louis offers a nice mix of bars, taverns, and restaurants where whiskey features prominently. So, whether you’re looking for premium whiskey cocktails, or a mind-blowing tasting flight, here are ten great places to sip the brown water:
1. Fox & Hounds Tavern (4.74 stars/209 reviews) Hi-Pointe, 6300 Clayton Road, Saint Louis, MO 63117, (314) 647-7300.
2. Taste Bar (4.49 stars/481 reviews) Central West End, 4584 Laclede Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 361-1200.
3. The Whiskey Ring (4.37 stars/100 reviews) Benton Park West, Gravois Park, 2651 Cherokee Street, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 669-5817.
4. The Scottish Arms (4.27 stars/573 reviews) Central West End, 8 South Sarah Street, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 535-0551.
5. Salt + Smoke BBQ Bourbon Beer (4.23 stars/1113 reviews) The Loop, 6525 Delmar Blvd, University City, MO 63130, (314) 727-0200.
6. Small Batch (4.20 stars/250 reviews) Midtown, 3001 Locust Blvd, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 380-2040.
7. Brennan’s (4.05 stars/110 reviews) Central West End, 4659 Maryland Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 497-4449.
8. The Side Project Cellar (4.05 stars/92 reviews) Maplewood, 7373 Marietta Ave, Maplewood, MO 63143, (314) 224-5211.
9. Square One Brewery & Distillery (4.03 stars/735 reviews) Lafayette Square,1727 Park Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 231-2537.
10. Water Street (3.96 stars/186 reviews) Maplewood, 7268 Manchester Road, Saint Louis, MO 63143, (314) 646-8355.
It seems that no matter how exhaustive our top 10 lists are, there are always a few noteworthy places that don’t quite make the cut. Sometimes they don’t have enough reviews (minimum 50). Sometimes they just miss squeaking in, but are still well worth your attention. To these establishments we offer honorable mentions:
Gamlin Whiskey House (3.96 stars/499 reviews) Central West End, 236 North Euclid Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 875-9500. With one of the deepest whiskey lists in the country, Gamlin has won national acclaim, being named one of America’s best bars for whiskey lovers by USA Today, and one of the 21 best whiskey bars in America by Thrillist. Their educated staff can help even the most novice drinker find the right whiskey for their palate.
Naked Vine (4.28 stars/36 reviews) Chesterfield, 1624 Clarkson Road, Chesterfield, MO 63017, (636) 536-0711. This wine and whiskey shop is also an excellent tasting bar. The selection of around 100 whiskeys is constantly changing, with the focus on small-production, boutique varieties. Don’t let the strip mall exterior fool you. This bohemian gathering place is something special. (And since it’s also a shop, you can buy whiskey to take home too.)