The New Line Theatre is an alternative musical theatre company located in St. Louis, Missouri. Over the years, it has housed many world premieres that have led to prominent off-Broadway and Broadway productions. The theatre has also hosted reinterpretations of some of the industry’s most popular shows including Evita, Pippin, Grease, Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods. Visit the Official Website.
History the New Line Theatre, St. Louis, Missouri
The New Line Theatre was founded in 1991. Also referred to as “The Bad Boy of Musical Theatre,” the company aimed at offering an alternative to the commercial musical theatre that many had come to know and love. This decision to produce shows that were not considered mainstream at the time put The New Line Theatre on the map and distinguished it from many other nonprofit musical theatres that were being created throughout the country.
According to the company’s official website, when created, the company and its founders focused on exploring provocative, alternative, and politically and socially relevant works of musical theatre. Among the issues discussed in shows were race, sexuality, obscenity and other issues not addressed by more mainstream works of theatre during the 1990s.
Productions at the New Line Threatre
Each season at the New Line theatre brings thought-provoking pieces of musical theatre, many of which go on to receive critical acclaim, making it to New York and Broadway. Among these shows presented at the New Theatre is March of the Falsettos, Songs for a New World, Company, Assassins, Urinetown, Chicago, Sunday in the Park with George and Cabaret.
Current Staff at the New Line Theatre
The current staff is as follows:
- Artistic Director – Scott Miller
- Associate Artistic Director – Mike Dowdy-Windsor
- Resident Choreographer – Robin Michelle Berger
- Resident Lighting Designers – Kenneth Zinkl, Rob Lippert
- Resident Scenic Designer – Rob Lippert
- Resident Costume Designer – Sarah Porter
- Resident Fight Choreographer – Nicholas Kelly
- Casting Directors – Brian Claussen, Alison Helmer
- Box Office Manager – Kimi Short
- Volunteer Coordinator – Alison Helmer
- Event Coordinator – Michelle Sauer
- Graphic Designer – Matt Reedy
- Original Logo Design – Tracy Collins
- Photographer – Jill Ritter Lindberg
- Web Designer – Cristopher Ontiveros
- Financial Advisor – Keith Thompson
- IT Advisor – Christopher “Zany” Clark
The New Line Theatre’s board of directors is as follows: Barry Cordes, Kevin Corlett, Charles Glenn, Alison Helmer, Scott Miller, John Rhine, Anna Skidis Vargas. Honorary board members are Jerry Herman and Stephen Sondheim.
Visit the New Line Threatre
The New Line Theatre presents multiple productions each season to be attended by the public. Mainstage productions hold performances on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 8:00 p.m. Tickets for performances on Thursday nights are $20 for adults and $15 for students and senior adults while tickets for performances on Friday and Saturday nights are $25 for adults and $20 for students and seniors. All seating is general admission.
It’s important to note that many productions of the New Line Theatre are not suitable for younger children as content and language is geared towards an older audience. There is no set rule on this, however: it is up to the discretion of parents to decide whether or not to bring children to the production. Toddlers and infants, however, are not allowed in the theatre.