WASHINGTON, DC (STL.News) The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) continued to prioritize education and outreach and customer service in the public and private sectors during fiscal year 2019, which ended Sept. 30, 2019. The EEOC detailed its accomplishments in its Annual Performance Report [link] (APR) published today.
In the APR, issued in coordination with the agency’s Congressional Budget Justification, the EEOC reports on its progress in achieving the goals and objectives outlined in the agency’s Strategic Plan along with performance and program results achieved for the previous fiscal year.
“The EEOC made significant progress in fiscal year 2019 toward implementing our strategic goals and advancing equal opportunity in the workplace,” said EEOC Chair Janet Dhillon. “The credit for our success goes to the dedicated employees at the Commission, and I look forward to working with them to build on these achievements in the upcoming year.”
The EEOC’s fiscal year 2019 performance highlights include:
- Reducing the inventory of pending private sector charges by 12.1 percent – to 43,580 charges – the lowest in 13 years.
- Reducing the federal sector hearings pending inventory for the second consecutive year – achieving a reduction of 5 percent in fiscal year 2019.
- Conducting more than 3,800 outreach events and providing more than 295,600 individuals nationwide with information about employment discrimination and their rights and responsibilities in the workplace, including over 485 outreach events for small business.
- The EEOC secured more than $486 million and other relief for victims of employment discrimination in private sector and state and local government workplaces through mediation, conciliation, and settlements.
- The EEOC’s legal staff resolved 173 merit lawsuits and obtained $39.1 million in monetary relief as a direct result of litigation resolutions.
The EEOC’s fiscal year 2019 Agency Financial Report was posted November 19th. Comprehensive enforcement and litigation statistics for fiscal year 2019 were posted January 24th.