WASHINGTON, DC – August 23, 2026 (STL.News) TikTok, its parent company ByteDance, and affiliated entities have agreed to pay $400 million to resolve U.S. government litigation alleging violations of federal children’s online privacy protections, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
The Justice Department announced the settlement Friday, Aug. 21, saying the agreement resolves litigation concerning compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, commonly known as COPPA, and regulations implementing the law.
Under the settlement, TikTok will pay $300 million immediately. Another $100 million will become payable when a court enters an order vacating a previous consent decree involving Musical.ly, the short-video platform that became TikTok.
The Justice Department described the agreement as one of the largest recoveries ever obtained in a COPPA case.
The settlement resolves the government’s litigation and allegations. It should not be characterized as a trial verdict finding TikTok or ByteDance liable for all conduct alleged in the government’s complaint.
TikTok had denied the government’s allegations, according to Reuters.
Settlement follows 2024 TikTok privacy lawsuit
The dispute dates to a lawsuit filed by the Justice Department on behalf of the Federal Trade Commission on Aug. 2, 2024.
Federal officials accused TikTok, ByteDance and affiliated companies of violating COPPA by knowingly allowing children under 13 to create regular TikTok accounts and collecting personal information from those children without providing the required notice to parents or obtaining parental consent.
The FTC said when it filed the lawsuit that its investigation had led to the Justice Department action.
The government’s complaint alleged that millions of children younger than 13 used the regular TikTok application and that the companies collected and retained information from those users.
According to the Justice Department’s 2024 complaint announcement, children using regular TikTok accounts could create and share videos, interact with adults and access content available through the regular platform.
Those were government allegations made in the lawsuit, not findings reached after a trial.
The government also alleged that TikTok made it difficult for parents to have children’s accounts deleted and that the company continued retaining some children’s personal information after parents requested deletion.
TikTok disputed the allegations.
What COPPA requires of online companies
COPPA is a federal law designed to protect the online privacy of children younger than 13.
The law and the FTC’s implementing rule place requirements on operators of websites and online services directed to children under 13, as well as certain operators that have actual knowledge they are collecting personal information from children in that age group.
Among other requirements, covered operators generally must provide notice about their information practices and obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information online from children under 13.
The law also gives parents certain rights regarding information collected from their children, including rights to review and delete that information.
The TikTok case centered on the government’s allegation that the companies did not comply with those requirements despite knowing that children younger than 13 were using the service.
Musical.ly faced an earlier children’s privacy case
The 2024 litigation was particularly significant because TikTok’s predecessor had already faced federal enforcement involving COPPA.
In February 2019, Musical.ly’s operators agreed to pay $5.7 million to settle FTC allegations that the company illegally collected personal information from children.
Musical.ly had been acquired by ByteDance and was subsequently integrated into TikTok.
The FTC said in 2019 that Musical.ly knew a significant percentage of its users were children younger than 13.
Federal regulators alleged that the company collected children’s names, email addresses and other information without first obtaining parental consent.
The 2019 settlement required Musical.ly to comply with COPPA and included requirements involving videos created by users identified as younger than 13.
At the time, the FTC described the $5.7 million penalty as the largest civil penalty it had obtained in a children’s privacy case.
Later that year, however, Google and YouTube agreed to pay a combined $170 million to settle separate COPPA allegations, setting a substantially higher benchmark for children’s privacy enforcement.
The new TikTok agreement, at $400 million, is more than twice the size of that $170 million settlement, although the cases involved different companies, allegations and circumstances.
Government alleged violations continued after 2019
The earlier Musical.ly case became an important part of the government’s later action against TikTok.
When the Justice Department filed its 2024 lawsuit, federal officials alleged that TikTok and ByteDance had violated both COPPA and obligations arising from the previous court order.
The Justice Department alleged that TikTok continued allowing millions of children younger than 13 to use the regular TikTok platform despite the earlier enforcement action.
The government also alleged that TikTok knowingly permitted children to create regular accounts through what it described as an “age unknown” account-creation process involving certain third-party services.
Again, those claims were allegations presented by the government, not factual findings from a trial.
The connection between the two cases is reflected in the structure of the new settlement.
Of the $400 million total, $300 million is payable immediately, while the remaining $100 million is contingent upon entry of an order vacating the prior consent decree entered against Musical.ly.
TikTok made changes after lawsuit was filed
TikTok’s practices and corporate structure have changed substantially since the Justice Department filed the case in 2024.
Reuters reported that the settlement filing states there have been significant changes involving TikTok’s ownership, management, compliance functions and privacy practices since the lawsuit began.
According to Reuters, the filing states that TikTok now requires users to provide a date of birth to access the service and uses age-assurance technology designed to identify accounts that may belong to children under 13.
The company also has hundreds of personnel trained in underage moderation, Reuters reported.
Those changes are relevant to the settlement, but they do not retroactively establish or disprove the government’s allegations concerning earlier practices.
TikTok’s U.S. business has also changed
The children’s privacy settlement comes during a broader restructuring of TikTok’s operations in the United States.
Reuters reported that ByteDance reached an agreement in January 2026 establishing a majority American-owned joint venture intended to secure U.S. user data and address concerns that had threatened TikTok’s continued operation in the country.
TikTok has more than 200 million users in the United States, according to Reuters.
The ownership and national-security dispute is separate from the children’s privacy litigation.
The $400 million settlement announced Aug. 21 concerns the federal government’s allegations involving COPPA and the handling of information associated with children younger than 13.
Keeping those matters separate is important because TikTok has faced several distinct legal and regulatory disputes in the United States.
$400 million agreement had been discussed for months
Evidence that the federal government and TikTok were discussing a major settlement emerged earlier in 2026.
Reuters reported on May 8 that the Trump administration was nearing an approximately $400 million settlement with TikTok over the children’s privacy case, citing an ABC News report based on people familiar with the negotiations.
At that point, however, no final agreement had been announced.
The Justice Department’s Aug. 21 announcement formally confirmed the settlement and its $400 million value.
Children’s online privacy remains a federal priority
The size of the TikTok agreement makes the case significant beyond the company itself.
COPPA has become increasingly important as children spend more time using social networks, video platforms, games, applications and other internet services that can collect information about their users.
The FTC has brought numerous enforcement actions alleging COPPA violations.
The agency has also continued updating its children’s privacy framework as technology and online advertising practices have evolved.
For companies operating large online platforms, the TikTok litigation illustrates that setting a minimum user age does not necessarily eliminate potential COPPA exposure.
The government’s 2024 case was based in part on allegations that TikTok knew children younger than 13 were nevertheless using its regular service.
Whether an online service actually knows it is collecting information from children can therefore become an important issue in determining its obligations under federal law.
TikTok case resolves without trial verdict
The distinction between allegations and established violations remains particularly important in reporting the settlement.
The federal government accused TikTok and ByteDance of widespread COPPA violations and of failing to comply with obligations stemming from the 2019 Musical.ly case.
TikTok disputed the government’s allegations.
Rather than proceeding through litigation to a trial and verdict on those disputed claims, the parties reached the $400 million settlement announced Aug. 21.
The Justice Department called the resolution one of the largest recoveries obtained in a COPPA case.
The agreement gives the government a substantial financial recovery while resolving litigation that began more than two years ago.
For TikTok, the settlement resolves a major federal children’s privacy case at a time when the company’s U.S. operations have undergone significant changes.
For parents and other online platforms, the case also underscores the continuing federal focus on how companies identify young users, obtain parental consent and collect, retain or delete children’s personal information.
The financial terms are unusually large for children’s privacy enforcement: $300 million payable immediately and another $100 million tied to vacating the earlier Musical.ly consent decree.
Nearly seven years after Musical.ly paid $5.7 million to settle the FTC’s first major children’s privacy case involving the platform, TikTok and ByteDance are now resolving the government’s latest children’s privacy litigation for $400 million.
Sources: U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, and Reuters.