Iowa: Jason Adkins Sentenced After Admitting To Sex Crimes

Iowa man, Jason L. Adkins sentenced to federal prison after admitting to sex crimes at Georgia military base

Offenses occurred at Fort Stewart, elsewhere

SAVANNAH, GA (STL.News) A former U.S. Army soldier previously stationed at Fort Stewart has been sentenced to prison after admitting he committed sex crimes against a minor.

Jason L. Adkins, 46, of Swann, Iowa, was sentenced to 76 months in prison after pleading guilty to Abusive Sexual Contact with a Child Under 12 Years of Age, said David H. Estes, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia.  U.S. District Court Judge William T. Moore Jr. also ordered Adkins to serve 15 years of supervised release after completion of his prison term.

There is no parole in the federal system.

“Thanks to the difficult work of law enforcement and education professionals, Jason Adkins has been brought to justice for his depraved actions,” said U.S. Attorney Estes.  “We will be relentless in protecting our most vulnerable citizens.”

As described in court documents and testimony, Adkins had been stationed in Fort Stewart prior to retiring from the Army in 2015, after which he relocated to Altoona, Iowa.  Officers with the Police Department in Altoona contacted Army Criminal Investigation Division to report Adkin’s arrest on state child sex crimes charges in 2019, and the subsequent investigation determined that Adkins had committed similar offenses in both locations.  His federal sentence will be served consecutively to a four-year state sentence for his crimes in Iowa.

“Army CID Special Agents work tirelessly to ensure those who perpetrate the heinous crime of sexual assault against a child are held accountable,” said Gregory Ford, Director of the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID).  “This sentence is a reflection of the steadfast relationships CID maintains with our federal, state, and local law enforcement partners across the country.  I want to thank the Altoona Police Department for their dedication to this complex investigation.”

The case was investigated by the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division and the Altoona Police Department and prosecuted for the United States by Assistant U.S. Attorney Marcela C. Mateo and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Darron Hubbard.