Norflok, VA (STL.News) – United States Marshals Service, in coordination with Norfolk Police Department, ATF, DEA, Norfolk Sheriff’s Office, Chesapeake Sheriff’s Office, and several other agencies, conducted Operation Washout, which is a U.S. Marshal led initiative that targets fugitive gang members. As a result, thirty-two arrests were made during the 3-day operation from August 6-8th 2019. This operation was a massive undertaking completed with the help of multiple law enforcement agencies and personnel assisting with investigations and arrests.
The individuals who were arrested were known members of several gangs such as Bloods, Crips, Gangster Disciples, Aryan Nation, New Jersey Skinheads, Dead Men Inc., and Gotti Gang. Law enforcement personnel combed through hundreds of local, state, and federal warrants to search for the most wanted offenders in the Hampton Roads area.
Over forty local law enforcement individuals were deputized by U.S. Marshal Nick Proffitt to assist in the operation.
“This operation exemplifies the efficiency and effectiveness of working together as a team for the benefits of our citizens. I am proud of the Deputy Marshals, task force officers and our local law enforcement partners for the work they did this week, and for what they do each day. The results of this operation speak for themselves, and are indicative of the strength of the law enforcement cooperation we enjoy here in the Commonwealth. It is my hope the effort this week in Hampton Roads will demonstrate to our citizens what these men and women do every day to keep them safe. I am honored and humbled that the Marshals Service is a part of this team of professional, dedicated public servants,” said U.S. Marshal Nick Proffitt.
- 32 Gang members arrested
- 8 firearms and an assault rifle seized
- Agencies who participated: ATF, DEA, NCIS, Norfolk Police Department, Norfolk Sheriff’s Office, Norfolk Probation and Parole, United States Attorney’s Office, Chesapeake Sheriff’s Office, Portsmouth Police Department, Portsmouth Sheriff’s Office, Newport News Police Department, Southampton County Sheriff’s Office.
- The number of law enforcement personnel: >100
- Over 40 local law enforcement officers were deputized by U.S. Marshal Nick Proffitt to assist in the Operation.
- Gangs targeted: 11 (Gotti Gang, Dead Men, Inc., New Jersey Skinheads, Aryan Nation, Gangster Disciples, Bounty Hunter Bloods, Rollin 40s Crips, YSN Gang, YNIC Gang, 300 Gang, 600 Gang)
Nationally, the U.S. Marshals Service fugitive apprehension efforts are carried out with local law enforcement in 94 district offices, 85 local fugitive task forces, 8 regional task forces, as well as a growing network of offices in foreign countries.