St. Louis’ Best Sushi Joints in 2017
St. Louis, MO/December 3, 2017 (STL.News) – Most of us are at least somewhat familiar with sushi. Those of us who love it know there’s nothing better than the artful creations of a clever sushi chef. The combinations of fresh seafood, crisp vegetables, spicy sauces, and sticky rice is at once elegant and delicious. Most of us also know someone who balks at the suggestion that they might enjoy dinner at our favorite sushi joint. For those who want to entice their non-sushi loving friends and family to try a great sushi restaurant, we have good news. In updating our list of the top 10 sushi restaurants in St. Louis for 2017, we discovered that the most popular sushi restaurants in town also offer something to tempt even the most finicky palates.
After checking the customer reviews, we found the ten sushi places St. Louis diners rate the highest. They span the metro area, and include popular take out places as well as elegant dining establishments. All offer traditional sushi dishes, as well as variations that use ingredients more familiar to Western palates (like fried chicken or shrimp). Many also offer cross cultural dishes like crab Rangoon, teriyaki chicken, Korean barbecue, and ramen.
St. Louis’ favorite sushi restaurant is Miyabi Sushi Bar Steakhouse in the Arnold Commons shopping center. Miyabi combines two classic Japanese cuisines: sushi and hibachi. The skilled sushi chefs create modern interpretations of classic dishes that are almost too beautiful to eat. Diners love the large menu of raw and cooked sushi and sashimi, available a la carte, from the sushi bar, and as entrees. But for those in your party who may be less than enthusiastic about sushi, there’s also tempura, katsu, hibachi, udon and soba noodle dishes, plus pad thai, lo mein, fried rice, and a kids’ menu that includes pizza. They also have a global bar program that includes popular beers from Japan, China, Europe, and the U.S., a selection of wines, as well as hot and cold sake.
Whether it’s an elegant evening of shared plates and rolls, quick and fresh take out, or someplace even the non-sushi lovers in your circle will love, the top 10 sushi restaurants in St. Louis offer something for everyone.
1. Miyabi Sushi Bar Steakhouse (4.52 stars/75 reviews) Arnold Commons, 892 Arnold Commons Drive, Arnold, MO 63010, (636) 333-2755.
2. Sushi Thai by Samran (4.51 stars/51 reviews) Metro East, 229 North Illinois Street, Belleville, IL 62220, (618) 355-9693.
3. Sapporo 2 (4.38 stars/127 reviews) Midtown, 3043 Olive Street, Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 899-0698.
4. Sushi Tatsu (4.36 stars/148 reviews) Metro East, 5725 North Illinois Street, Fairview Heights, IL 62208, (618) 277-5554.
5. Zen Thai and Japanese Cuisine (4.33 stars/55 reviews) Chesterfield Valley, 17535 Chesterfield Airport Road, Chesterfield, MO 63005, (636) 537-9997.
6. SUSHI KOI St. Louis (4.31 stars/81 reviews) Central West End, 4 North Euclid Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 367-2209.
7. Sushi Station (4.28 stars/169 reviews) Downtown Webster Groves, 29 North Gore Ave, Webster Groves, MO 63119, (314) 733-5511.
8. Crazy Sushi (4.24 stars/78 reviews) St. Peters, 3350 Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Saint Peters, MO 63376, (636) 397-2414.
9. ZEN Thai & Japanese Cuisine (4.21 stars/223 reviews) Crestwood, 9250 Watson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63126, (314) 842-0307.
10. MaTaNe Japanese Dining (4.15 stars/68 reviews) Chesterfield Plaza, 13419 Olive Blvd, Chesterfield, MO 63017, (314) 786-5778.
There are so many great sushi restaurants in the St. Louis area, we just couldn’t stop with ten. There are some really terrific sushi joints that didn’t have quite enough reviews to make our list (minimum 50), but customers just rave about them. So, to these sushi specialists we offer Honorable Mentions:
Blk Mkt Eats (4.69 stars/48 reviews) Central West End, 9 South Vandeventer Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 391-5100. Open just a few weeks (since Oct. 18), this creative sushi shop already has customers lining up for the fresh sushi burritos, poke bowls, and nachos (made with wonton chips). The enormous sushi rolls are served burrito-style. They offer traditional Japanese flavors plus surprises like savory, buttermilk-fried chicken.
Toasty Subs (4.69 stars/32 reviews) Maplewood, 3001 South Big Bend Blvd, Maplewood, MO 63143, (314) 833-3277. This family owned restaurant may be the ultimate sushi spot to take the non-fish eaters in your circle. Customers love their fresh sub sandwiches (turkey, chicken, and beef classics) and the broad selection of hand-made sushi plus fresh ramen and boba tea.
J Sushi (4.64 stars/39 reviews) Arnold, 1249 Water Tower Place, Arnold, MO 63010, (636) 548-8385. This cozy, unassuming restaurant offers one of the biggest sushi menus in the metro area—classic rolls, raw and cooked nigiri, fresh sashimi, even a kids’ menu and dessert. The small plates selection includes a huge variety of clever, Asian fusion dishes, like Japanese crab Rangoon (made with spicy crab and topped with eel sauce), the Big Bang Roll (smoked bacon and onion, topped with seared NY steak, cheese, Bulgogi sauce and then baked), seaweed salad, miso soup, and monkey brain (lightly fried mushrooms stuffed with spicy tuna and crab).