Steven Snell, Kidnapper of Elderly Couple Sentenced To 20 Years In Prison

DOVER, DE (STL.News) Steven Snell, the Millsboro man who kidnapped and robbed an elderly Rehoboth Beach couple has been sentenced to prison.  In July 2018, Snell, 30, went to a home on Cornwall Road asking to use the phone.  Once inside, Snell threatened the couple with a box cutter, then forced the victims into his car and drove to an ATM where he took money from their account.  In August, Snell pleaded guilty to Kidnapping First Degree, 2 counts of Robbery First Degree, and 1 count each of Home Invasion, Assault Second Degree, and Possession of a Deadly Weapon During the Commission of a Felony.  Snell was sentenced by the Court to 20 years in prison, followed by 1 year of work release, then 2 years of probation.  The work release and probation will include GPS monitoring.  Deputy Attorney General Adam Gelof prosecuted the case.

A man who tried to avoid arrest by driving away from a traffic stop with a state trooper hanging onto his vehicle has been sentenced to prison.  Deputy Attorney General John Donahue secured the sentence for 30-year-old Brandon Showell of Seaford.  In June 2018, a trooper stopped Showell for running a stop sign, and as the trooper approached Showell’s SUV, Showell put it in gear and started to move.  As the two struggled, Showell pushed the trooper from the vehicle, got out, and started to run, but the officer was able to take him into custody.  In September 2019, Showell pleaded guilty to Assault Second Degree, Reckless Endangering, and Resisting Arrest with Force or Violence.  A Superior Court judge sentenced Showell to 4 years in prison, followed by 6 months of work release, then 1 year of probation.

A 44-year-old Lincoln man received a prison sentence for assaulting a woman.  In March 2019, Toussaint Jones began arguing with a woman who was staying with Jones and his wife.  The argument turned physical, with Jones striking the woman in the face, causing an orbital fracture.  In August, Jones pleaded guilty to Assault Second Degree.  Jones was sentenced by a Superior Court judge to 3 years in prison including the completion of the Key substance abuse treatment program, followed by 18 months of probation with Key aftercare.  Deputy Attorney General Jeffery McLane prosecuted the case with assistance from victim services specialist Monserrat Matos and paralegal Kristan Hudson.