The Best Craft Brewpubs in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO/March 3, 2017 (STLRestaurant.News) – St. Louis is a beer town. We’ve been making and drinking beer since the founding of the city. Beer making is a part of our community history, and beer drinking is part of our local culture. So when the microbreweries began to emerge across the country at the end of the 20th century, St. Louis was on board. As our thirst for these new, specialty beers grew, so did the number of artisan makers brewing something to quench us. Now there are scores of craft beer makers in the St. Louis area. Diners will find them in dedicated taprooms, German-inspired beer gardens, and brew pubs across the metro area.
So who does it best? We once again turned to customer reviews to find out. In order to get a good sample of opinions, we limited the top 10 to brewpubs with at least 50 reviews. We found the best are a mix of some of the city’s earliest microbreweries and some of the newest too. And the best news of all? They span the region from the metro-east to St. Charles County, so there’s a great artisan beer experience waiting in everyone’s back yard.
Topping the list is The Civil Life Brewing Company at 3714 Holt Ave., in south city’s Tower Grove South neighborhood. This is a great choice for the craft beer novice, as there’s always an eclectic selection of their artisan beers on draft and the crew is super helpful to those just trying to figure out what they like. The cozy wood-paneled space is part English pub and part German beer hall. You’ll find a long bar and large communal table, plus cozier seating upstairs. Tuesday through Saturday, the menu changes, but always includes apps, and seven to ten sandwiches including selections like roast beef, Cubans, and even a vegetarian sandwich. On Sundays they serve soup. Since opening in 2011, The Civil Life has developed a loyal following. This is truly one of the new-wave of craft brewpubs: there’s no phone number and they only accept cash.
Here is the full list of St. Louis’ Top 10 Craft Brewpubs:
1. The Civil Life Brewing Company (4.59 stars/173 reviews) Tower Grove South, 3714 Holt Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63116, no phone.
2. The Modern Brewery (4.55 stars/51 reviews) Kings Oak, 5231 Manchester Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, no phone.
3. Urban Chestnut Brewing Co. (4.40/436 reviews) Midtown, 3229 Washington Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 222-0143.
4. The Side Project Cellar (4.39 stars/153 reviews) Maplewood, 7373 Marietta Ave., Maplewood, MO 63143, (314) 224-5211.
5. Heavy Riff Brewing (4.31 stars/168 reviews) Dogtown, 6413 Clayton Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63139, (555) 515-1511.
6. 4 Hands Brewing (4.30 stars/383 reviews) Lasalle, 1220 South 8th Street, Saint Louis, MO 63104, (314) 436-1559.
7. Earthbound Beer (4.27 stars/81 reviews) Gravois Park, 2710 Cherokee Street, Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 769-9576.
8. Alpha Brewing Company (4.25 stars/126 reviews) Downtown, 1409 Washington Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 621-2337.
9. Old Bakery Beer Company (4.23 stars/194 reviews) Alton, 400 Landmarks Boulevard, Alton, IL 62002, (618) 463-1470.
10. Exit 6 Pub & Brewery (4.18 stars/61 reviews) Cottleville, 5055 Hwy N, Cottleville, MO 63304, (636) 244-4343.
With so many choices it’s impossible to mention just ten. There are so many other craft brewers and brewpubs in town that are worth your attention. So we’re giving honorable mentions to a few that didn’t quite make the Top 10 list. These places had great scores, but didn’t have quite enough reviews to make the list this time around. Keep an eye on them, or try a flight, or something. These artisans are brewing up great things ahead.
Honorable Mentions go to:
Six Mile Bridge (4.49 stars/45 reviews) Maryland Heights, 11841 Dorsett Road, Maryland Heights, MO 63043, (314) 942-2211. One of St. Louis’ newest craft breweries, they turned on the taps in 2015, and they’ve been winning accolades ever since, including winning a 2016 Gold Medal for their Classic Dry Irish Stout.
2nd Shift Brewing (4.38 stars/21 reviews) The Hill, 1601 Sublette Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63110, (314) 669-9013. This is St. Louis’ newest brew pub—sort of. They’ve been making beer since 2010 and other pubs have been putting in the glasses of thirsty beer drinkers. But they just opened their own tasting room on the Hill last November (2016).