The current building has been City Hall since 1898. St. Louis City Hall is located on the SW corner of Tucker Blvd and Market Street. The official address is 1200 Market Street.
The six acre site that City Hall resides on is known as Washington Square. It was originally known as Chouteau Hill Pond tract. The location was acquired by St. Louis on December 1, 1840 for $25,000 from Thomas Smith. However, construction did not begin for fifty years.