SACRAMENTO, Calif | The Latest: No charges for officers who shot Stephon Clark

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on the decision by a prosecutor not to charge the police officers who shot an unarmed black man last year (all times local):

1:10 p.m.

Two Sacramento police officers will not face criminal charges in last year’s fatal shooting of an unarmed black man that brought nationwide protests.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced Saturday that officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet did not break any laws when they shot Stephon Clark after the 22-year-old ran from them into his grandparents’ backyard.

The officers say they thought Clark, a vandalism suspect, had a gun but investigators found only a cellphone.

Sacramento has been bracing for protests ahead of the decision, with business owners warned by a business association and state government workers told by legislative officials in recent days to stay away from downtown at least through the weekend.


11 a.m.

Prosecutors are expected to announce Saturday whether two police officers will face charges in last year’s fatal shooting in Sacramento of an unarmed black man that generated nationwide protests.

Sacramento District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert will hold a news conference to announce whether the officers broke any laws when they shot Stephon Clark after the 22-year-old ran from them into his grandparents’ backyard.

Officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet have said they thought Clark, a vandalism suspect, had a gun but investigators found only a cellphone.

The city has been bracing for protests ahead of the decision, with business owners warned by a business association and state government workers told by legislative officials in recent days to stay away from downtown at least through the weekend.

Protests after the shooting were largely peaceful but disrupted downtown professional basketball games and freeway traffic.

By Associated Press