FEMA News: FEMA Awards $1.66 Million in Public Assistance Grants

Tallahassee, FL (STL.News) – FEMA has approved $1,659,907 to the state of Florida to assist 16 eligible applicants with reimbursement for eligible costs of emergency response and protective measures, as well as temporary facilities, for Hurricane Michael under FEMA’s Public Assistance Program.

The following projects have been obligated by FEMA to the Florida Division of Emergency Management (DEM) to help applicants with reimbursement for eligible costs incurred due to Hurricane Michael.  These grants are funded at the original 75 percent federal cost share.  Projects that meet the criteria for the President’s recent approval of 100 percent federal cost share will be adjusted to provide the remaining 25 percent of eligible costs to the applicants.

As of March 14, 2019, the awards include:

  • $808,350 for emergency protective measures for City of Mexico Beach
  • $258,360 for temporary facilities for Harvest Worship Center in Bay County
  • $118,279 for debris removal for Holmes County
  • $107,526 for emergency protective measures for Gadsden County Sheriff’s Office
  • $100,784 for City of Parker
  • $90,994 for emergency protective measures for Okaloosa County
  • $83,473 for emergency protective measures for City of Wewahitchka
  • $27,075 for canal parkway bridge/culvert for City of Mexico Beach
  • $20,122 for emergency protective measures for Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
  • $19,361 for emergency protective measures for Harvest Worship Center in Bay County
  • $7,652 for emergency protective measures for South Walton Fire Department
  • $7,630 for emergency protective measures for Jefferson County
  • $5,360 for emergency protective measures for Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
  • $2,715 for emergency protective measures for City of Mary Esther
  • $1,586 for emergency protective measures for City of Monticello
  •  $640 for donated resources for Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office

FEMA’s Public Assistance grant program is an essential source of funding for communities recovering from a federally declared disaster or emergency.  DEM works with FEMA during all phases of the PA program and conducts final reviews of FEMA-approved projects.  Applicants provide FEMA with thorough documentation to support damage claims.  Following approvals by FEMA and DEM, FEMA obligates funding for the project.

Once a project is obligated by FEMA, DEM works closely with the applicant to finalize the grant and begin making payments.  DEM has implemented new procedures designed to ensure grant funding is provided to local communities as quickly as possible.

FEMA has numerous other projects that have been identified under the Public Assistance program for Hurricane Michael and is working extensively with all applicants.  The timeline for other projects being obligated depends on the complexity of the projects, collection of supporting documentation by the applicants, environmental and historical laws, regulations and other concerns.

As of March 14, FEMA has obligated a total of $5.6 million in federal funding for Public Assistance projects related to Hurricane Michael in Florida.