FEMA News: FEMA Approves $1.5 Million for Electric Cooperative, Randolph Electric Membership Corporation, in North Carolina

DURHAM, NC (STL.News– The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved nearly $1.5 million to reimburse the Randolph Electric Membership Corporation in Asheboro for damage to its electrical system following Hurricane Florence.

The cooperative provides electrical service to Alamance, Chatham, Montgomery, Moore and Randolph counties, which were included in the presidential disaster declaration following Hurricane Florence.

High winds, rain and flooding caused by the hurricane damaged overhead utility poles, lines and transformers in multiple counties.

FEMA’s Public Assistance program provides grants to state and local governments, and to certain types of private nonprofit organizations to reimburse for the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair or replacement of damaged infrastructure.

FEMA’s Public Assistance is a cost-sharing program that reimburses applicants no less than 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state of North Carolina.  FEMA’s share for this project was $1.15 million.  The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which disburses funds to the agencies, local governments and to certain private nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.