Boston, MA (STL.News) As the citizens of Boston continue to follow the social distancing guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, many are becoming increasingly reliant on take-out food from local restaurants and eateries, resulting in more delivery drivers on our roads and in our neighborhoods. As a public safety reminder, the Boston Police Department is advising all delivery drivers to exercise caution while fulfilling these orders. The following tips can help reduce the chances of becoming a robbery victim:
- Drivers should limit the amount of cash on hand
- Credit cards should be used for all delivery sales whenever possible
- For business owners taking the order, advise the caller/customer that for the health and safety of the driver, to meet the driver outside of their building or dwelling
- Always ask for a customer call back number and verify the number prior to delivery
- Prior to delivery, instruct the driver to utilize the call back number to confirm the delivery and be sure to meet outside, in a well-lit location
- Drivers should never under any circumstances leave their motor vehicle running while unattended. Not only is this a citable offense in the City of Boston, the driver is left vulnerable to a possible vehicle theft.