Variety of Great Finds Across the Metro Area – Best Sushi
ST. LOUIS, MO: (STLRestaurant.News) – 10 Best Sushi Spots – To the uninitiated, sushi can be intimidating. Many novices think of sushi as raw fish. But this Japanese staple is much more than that. It’s generally a combination of vinegared rice, vegetables, seafood and/or some other type of meat that is sometimes raw and sometimes not. Most Americans are at least somewhat familiar with sushi rolls, especially those influenced by American cuisine: the California Roll (imitation crab meat, avocado, and cucumber rolled in nori seaweed and sticky rice) or the Philly Roll (a roll with smoked salmon, cream cheese, and cucumber). But sushi comes in many forms.
It can be eaten as maki (those familiar rolls made with seaweed and/or rice), gunkan (small seafood-filled seaweed cups), temaki (cones of nori seaweed filled with vegetables and seafood), or Nigiri (sashimi or thinly sliced seafood draped over sticky rice balls with a dab of wasabi). Whether your favorite is nigiri made with yellowtail or smoked salmon, an ebi roll with its steamed shrimp, inarizushi (vegetables and sushi rice packed into a pouch of fried tofu) or a Dragon roll made with tempura shrimp or grilled eel (unagi), there’s a sushi for almost everyone. In other words, sushi is a lot more than raw fish, although the best sushi restaurants will have raw options, including sashimi.
Sushi lovers and initiates will find the St. Louis area has an abundance of local restaurants offering sushi in many forms. So who does it best? We turned to customer reviews to find out where to go for great sushi in and around St. Louis. There are a lot of sushi restaurants in the St. Louis area—hundreds, so we had to set some limits. First, to make the top 10, a restaurant had to have more than 20 reviews. We also focused on independently owned restaurants, although Wasabi Sushi Bars and Sushi Ai restaurants were also highly regarded by customers.
Topping our list is Sushi Tatsu, 5725 N Illinois Street in Fairview Heights. Customers say it exemplifies the idea that you can’t judge a book by its cover. The outside of the building is rather unimpressive, but customers say what’s inside is delicious. The restaurant is spacious, with seating available in the dining room or at the sushi bar. If you’ve never done so, this place is the perfect opportunity to sit at the sushi bar and watch the chefs prepare your food. There’s a wide selection of sushi on the menu, including maki rolls, nigiri and sashimi. But for the non-sushi lovers in your group, there are also noodle dishes (soba and udon), as well as fried rice. Sushi Tatsu is open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
You don’t have to venture to the metro-east to get great sushi in and around St. Louis (although there are several really good options four in our Illinois counties). One look at our customer review-based top ten and you will find a great sushi place near you.
1. Sushi Tatsu (4.5 stars/114 reviews) 5725 N Illinois Street, Fairview Heights, IL 62208, (618) 277-5554
2. Sushi Station (4.5 Stars/96 reviews) 29 North Gore Ave., Webster Groves, MO 63119, (314) 733-5511
3. Sapporo 2 (4.5 stars/71 reviews) 3043 Olive Street, (Midtown) Saint Louis, MO 63103, (314) 899-0698
4. Sake Sushi Bar and Grill (4.5 stars/58 reviews) 1325 Central Park Drive, O Fallon, IL 62269, (618) 622-3474
5. MaTaNe Japanese Dining (4.5 stars/49 reviews) 13419 Olive Blvd, Chesterfield, MO 63017, (314) 786-5778
6. Nori Sushi & Japanese Grill (4.5 stars/32 reviews) 1025 Century Drive, Edwardsville, IL 62025, (618) 659-9400
7. Sushi Thai by Samran (4.5 stars/24 reviews) 229 North Illinois Street, Belleville, IL 62220 (618) 355-9693
8. Cafe Mochi (4 stars/275 reviews) 3221 South Grand Blvd, (Tower Grove) Saint Louis, MO 63118, (314) 773-5000
9. Kampai Sushi Bar (4 stars/204 reviews) 4949 West Pine Blvd, (Central West End) Saint Louis, MO 63108, (314) 367-2020
10. Zen Thai & Japanese Cuisine (4 stars/132 reviews) 13419 Olive Blvd, Chesterfield, MO 63017, (314) 786-5778
There are just too many good sushi restaurants in St. Louis to limit our list to these ten, so honorable mentions go a few more that are well loved by customers:
1. J Sushi (5 stars/ 12 reviews) 1249 Water Tower Pl, Arnold, MO, (636) 548-8385
2. Izakaya Ren (4 stars/78 reviews) 2948 Dougherty Ferry Rd, Valley Park, MO, (636) 825-3737
3. Crazy Sushi (4 stars/32 reviews) 3350 Mid Rivers Mall Dr, St. Peters, MO, (636) 397-2414
All three of these restaurants show there’s great sushi to be found, even in the outer suburbs.