NBA announces 2019 All-Star game will held in Charlotte

Adam Silver
FILE - In this June 23, 2015, file photo, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver speaks during a news conference to announce Charlotte, N.C., as the site of the 2017 NBA All-Star basketball game. The NBA All-Star game will be coming to Charlotte in 2019, two years after the city was to host the event, the NBA announced Wednesday, May 24, 2017. The All-Star game had been set for Charlotte last February, but the NBA moved the game to New Orleans because of the state law restricting the rights of LGBT people. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)(STL.News) — The NBA All Star game is headed back to Charlotte in 2019, a couple of years longer than anticipated.

The NBA announced that the All-Star weekend will be held Feb. 15-17 in Charlotte and the game will be played at the Spectrum Center, home of the Charlotte Hornets.

The league had selected Charlotte to host the 2017 All-Star game, but later moved the game to New Orleans because of the state law restricting the rights of LGBT people. However, a compromise was struck in March to partially erase the impact of the House Bill 2 law limiting anti-discrimination protections for lesbians, gays, bisexual and transgender people.

“While we understand the concerns of those who say the repeal of HB2 did not go far enough, we believe the recent legislation eliminates the most egregious aspects of the prior law,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a release. “Additionally, it allows us to work with the leadership of the Hornets organization to apply a set of equality principles to ensure that every All-Star event will proceed with open access and anti-discrimination policies.

“All venues, hotels and businesses we work with during All-Star will adhere to these policies as well. Sports have a long history of helping to change attitudes around important social issues. We believe holding our All-Star activities in Charlotte will be a powerful way for the NBA to continue this tradition.”

Hornets owner and longtime NBA great Michael Jordan said in a release he is “thrilled” the game is coming back to Charlotte.

“We want to thank Commissioner Silver for his leadership throughout this process and for the decision to bring NBA All-Star back to Buzz City,” Jordan said in the release. “All-Star Weekend is an international event that will provide a tremendous economic impact to our community while showcasing our city, our franchise and our passionate Hornets fan base to people around the world.”

Charlotte previously hosted the All-Star game in 1991 at the Charlotte Coliseum, which has since been demolished.

STL.News
About STL.News 8716 Articles
STL.News is owned and operated by St Louis Media, LLC. We publish International and national through a license agreement with Associated Press (AP). Our local news is provided by local professional writers with a journalism background. Our content is distributed to the major search engines and top-rated social sites. Additionally, we distribute press releases using AP, Google News, Google Newsstand, Bing News, Apple News, News360.com and our massive social media network expanding to more than 50 social sites.