It’s that time of the year again: your knees deep in work and the only thing that keeps you going is fantasizing about the well-deserved break you’ll treat yourself with.
Whether you’ve been allured with all of the instagram pictures you’ve seen around Europe, or the thousand years old culture and history, antique architecture, outstanding nightlife, mouth watering food and wild adventure, now is definitely the time to plan a trip to Europe. All you’ll need is one stamp on the passport, thanks to the border-free Schengen Area, and some money. You don’t even have to worry about your accommodation preparations, Interhome has holiday apartments for rent with about just every option you need!
So get your bags ready, here are 10 must go Europe Countries you can’t miss:
The Capital of France is known for many things: fashion, monuments, museums, churches, the City of Love, the City of Light. Although you could get lost in a daze admiring its iconic sights, like the Eiffel Tower or Notre-Dame Cathedral, do take the time to relax at sidewalk cafes during the day, and exploring the drawn-out meals with amazing wine at night.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Paris
- Notre-Dame Cathedral (Cathédrale de Notre Dame de Paris)
- Musée du Louvre
- Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel)
- Le Marais
- Sacred Heart Basilica of Montmartre (Sacre-Coeur)
- Pere-Lachaise Cemetery
- Palais Garnier – Opéra National de Paris
- Centre Pompidou
- Paris Catacombs (Les Catacombes de Paris)
- Disneyland Paris
This Alsatian French city is nestled among vineyards, an old town with cobblestone streets of half-timbered medieval and early Renaissance buildings. Colmar retains a ‘country town’ atmosphere, with its traditional houses, canals, floral displays and charming accommodations.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Colmar
- La Petite Venise
- Unterlinden Museum
- Toy Museum
- Colmar Christmas Markets
- Colmar celebrates Spring
- Château du Hohlandsbourg
- Château du Girsberg
The mythical city of Rome, the city of seven hills, is home to 3,000 years old former Roman Empire, with globally influential art, architecture and culture on display for the amazed eyes. And for the avid appetites to savor, the aroma of fresh Italian cooking wafts through every alley. Its Vatican City, headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church, has St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums, which house masterpieces such as Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel frescoes.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Rome
- Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi)
- St. Peter’s Basilica (Basilica di San Pietro)
- Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Roman Forum (Foro Romano)
- Basilica di San Clemente
- Gianicolo Hill (Passeggiata del Gianicolo)
- Campo de Fiori
- St. Peter’s Square
Florence, the capital of Italy’s Tuscany region, is home to many masterpieces of Renaissance art and architecture. Firenze (or Florence) sheltered the powerful Medici family and inspired artists like Michelangelo (David) and Brunelleschi (the Duomo), and if it weren’t for the fashionable Italians and chic shops lining Via Tornabuoni, you might think you had traveled back in time to the 14th century.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Florence
- Piazza della Signoria
- Duomo (Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore)
- Piazzale Michelangelo
- Uffizi Gallery (Galleria degli Uffizi)
- Baptistry (Battistero)
- Palazzo Pitti
- Ponte Vecchio
- Florence Cathedral
Venice is built on more than 100 small islands in a lagoon in the Adriatic Sea. It has no roads, just canals, including the Grand Canal, and it’s lined with Renaissance and Gothic palaces.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Venice
- Saint Mark’s Basilica & St. Mark’s Campanile
- Grand Canal
- Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto)
- Teatro La Fenice
- St. Mark’s Square (Piazza San Marco)
- Bridge of Sighs
- Doge’s Palace (Palazzo Ducale)
If you want to add hiking, surfing and chilling at the beach to your trip around Europe, you’re for a treat at the Amalfi Coast.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Trip to the Beaches
- Boat tours
- Villa Cimbrone (Ravello)
- The Furore Fiordo
3- United Kingdom (UK)
London has museums for EVERYTHING… and if you think “nah, museum are boring”, think again!
Can’t-Miss Things to do in London
- British Museum
- Tower of London
- Buckingham Palace
- Portobello Road Market
- Westminster Abbey
- Piccadilly Circus
- Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens
- West End Theatre District
- Churchill War Rooms
- The London Eye
You can also check out everything you can do for free in London.
Barcelona may be known for its art and architecture, but it’s for good reason. The capital of Spain’s Catalonia region, is a Mediterranean and cosmopolitan city with Roman remains, medieval quarters and the most beautiful examples of 20th century Modernism and avant-garde. Many of its monuments are so historic that they’ve been featured in UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites list.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Barcelona
- Park Güell (Güell Park)
- Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria (Boqueria Market)
- Barri Gòtic (Gothic Quarter)
- Las Ramblas
- La Sagrada Família (Church of the Sacred Family)
- Casa Batlló
- Camp Nou Stadium
- Cathedral de Barcelona (Barcelona Cathedral)
If you’re paying a trip to Spain, you can’t miss its capital. Madrid is a city of elegant boulevards & gorgeous parks, and if you listen carefully, you can hear the gentle melodies of Spanish guitar, and watch as the flamenco dancer sways to the tunes. It’s also known for its famous paintings and stunning architecture.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Madrid
- Retiro Park (Parque del Retiro)
- Plaza Mayor
- Prado Museum (Museo Nacional del Prado)
- Gateway of the Sun (Puerta del Sol)
- Royal Palace of Madrid (Palacio Real)
- Mercado San Miguel
- Bernabéu Stadium (Estadio Santiago Bernabéu)
- Plaza de Cibeles
- Temple of Debod
The go-to islands for surfers, windsurfers, scuba divers and sunbathers. Canary Islands are seven islands, and they are a tropical paradise to say the least.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Canary Islands
- Playa de Maspalomas (Gran Canaria)
- Las Palmas (Gran Canaria)
- Roque Nublo (Gran Canaria)
- Parque Nacional del Teide (Tenerife)
- Caldera de Taburiente National Park (La Palma)
- Timanfaya National Park (Lanzarote)
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Tenerife)
- Valle Gran Rey (La Gomera)
Art lovers surely know Amsterdam for its Van Gogh museum, but there’s never a shortage of things that suit every traveler’s taste in Amsterdam. You can go biking along a maze of canals on a journey to relive the Holocaust journals of Anne Frank, visit the world-class museums, or enjoy the quirky festivals, theatre, live music, laid-back bars and delightful restaurants.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Amsterdam
- Anne Frank House (Anne Frank Huis)
- Verzetsmuseum (Dutch Resistance Museum)
- Van Gogh Museum
- De Pijp
- De Negen Straatjes (Nine Little Streets)
- Rijksmuseum (State Museum)
- Artis Royal Zoo (Natura Artis Magistra)
- Heineken Experience
It’s said that where was once the lost city of Atlantis, a massive volcano erupted and forced most of what was then a single island into the bottom of the sea. Whatever remains of this mythological metropolis is now guarded by beautiful beaches and stately whitewashed homes. Today, Santorini consists of two inhabited islands and several islets.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Santorini
- Kamari Beach
- Amoudi Bay
- Fira to Oia Hike
- Ancient Thira
- Winery Tours
- Red Beach
- Ancient Akrotiri
- Museum of Prehistoric Thera
When it comes to historical importance, Athens takes the lead, having been the capital of Ancient Greece. The city is still dominated by 5th-century BC landmarks, yet is focused on modernity and tomorrow’s cultural and economic issues.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Athens
- Acropolis Museum
- Ancient Agora
- Temple of Hephaestus
- Herod Atticus Odeon
- Museum of Cycladic Art
7- Czech Republic
Prague, City of a Hundred Spires, a UNESCO monument and one of the most beautiful cities in the world, is a city that veils both a dark legacy and a resilient past. Dating back to about A.D. 870, Prague has withstood numerous overthrows, invasions, fires and floods, giving it its worthwhile reputation.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Prague
- Old Town Square (Staromestské námestí)
- Charles Bridge (Karluv most)
- Prague Castle
- St. Vitus Cathedral (Chrám svatého Víta)
- National Theatre (Národní divadlo)
- St. Nicholas Church (Chrám svatého Mikuláse)
- Jewish Quarter (Josefov)
- Dancing House
- Prague Astronomical Clock
Austria’s capital has a legacy of arts and intellect, shaped by the ingenuity of Mozart, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud. But there’s more to this city than just music and monarchs.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Vienna
- St. Stephen’s Cathedral (Stephansdom)
- Museum of Fine Arts (Kunsthistorisches Museum)
- Schonbrunn Palace
- House of Music (Haus der Musik)
- State Opera House (Staatsoper)
- Belvedere Palace (Schloss Belvedere)
The hilly and coastal capital city of Portugal. Lisbon has a welcoming and liberal atmosphere, while still embracing its deep-rooted heritage and extensive history. Whether you want to go on a cultural trip, planning a family holiday or just want to chill at the beach, you’ll find it all in Lisbon.
Can’t-Miss Things to do in Lisbon
- Tram 28
- Santa Justa Elevator (Elevador de Santa Justa)
- National Tile Museum (Museu Nacional do Azulejo)
- St. George’s Castle (Castelo de Sao Jorge)
- Torre de Belem and Monument to the Discoveries
- Gulbenkian Museum (Museu Calouste Gulbenkian)
- Monastery of St Jerome
- Oceanarium (Oceanario de Lisboa)
There’s no way you’re going to Europe without squeezing in skiing and snowboarding, and the best spot to do so would be the French and Swiss Alps. As they say in Europe, “Skiing the big four: France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy”.
Make The Most Out of Your Trip
After all, travel experiences are personal ones. Plan your trips well and make a list of everything you’d like to do in your days (and nights), but keep room for spontaneity too. Learning a phrase or two of the local language will surely help, and remember to book early for cheaper flights. If you’re tight on budget, then planning a winter trip is the best time to explore Europe. And no matter where you decide on to your next destination, make sure to get an extra battery (or two) for your camera.